Sunday, November 15, 2015

                         

                                      Fireflies

                                                          -Pori Teronpi

 “Those humble stars swarming in groups,

             Through rivulets and tiny small brooks,

  They light away the night’s garland

                 And beautify the darkened odour of my unkempt garden.

 Away down the lane, clearing up every bushes

 To escape from a mysterious haunt or the meddling masses;

 Woe begone, rushing to the tidy grasses

 Hurried along to have a good night rest,

 They cling to one every separate

 In slumber they rest humming away all the mortal grudges.”

 

Wonder I, a foolish little dog, lying awake all night long gazing at the lines of fireflies adorning my deserted street. Half awaken by the craving lamenting in my stomach for a satisfactory crumb of bread and the other half by the mysterious march of the fireflies, I licked my parched lips and touched the tip of my nose with it to bring in the flavour of that breath taking dog fantasy. Three months of my lifetime has never given me a chance to taste the flavour of that chicken bone which Sulphur and Neon, my two step brothers, constantly slurped upon. My nose could send me the model of the flavour though, by accelerating my imagination regarding the taste of the chicken’s bone.

I had nothing to do; at daytime, I had smelly leftover khichdi* near the temple garbage which quite filled my stomach but seemed like infected it a bit with several harmful bacteria which compelled me to chunk in some green grasses. Dinner was skipped out for the night bore me nothing, bestowing me an unpleasant night slumber. I could stare at Sulphur and Neon, devouring in some biryani*, often sneering at me to keep me at bay. The night was cold, bitter and long.

My gleam was lightened by the swarm of those fireflies. I remember, the other day, a car was parked near the temple. My three months old eyes caught an interesting sight of two people embracing each other inside the car. It seemed like the two people, both young, were of different gender- male and female, for the one who held the other person showed more masculinity while the other one appeared to be whining away in submission which proved the feminine character of every living species. I showed up my presence before them by giving out my so called cute barks. I tilted my head a bit and looked at them darting up my eyeballs to make myself appealing. The couple was startled by my bark; I expected a warm acceptance or a throw of some pile of biscuits or a loving pad, but the young lady shrieked and cried, “What a filthy little animal!”

The young man shooed me away and I ran from them as far as my feet could carry on, beyond their reach, beyond their recognition. Sulphur was always padded by young people; he was always given pile of biscuits or other eatable stuffs by young lovers. His furs were like any domestic dog, soft and fluffy. Being a half brother to him should have made me look like him, but that did not happen. I was skinny and my back was losing hairs thereby giving space for large pits of wounds. I had to skip a one-day meal that day for I had seriously nothing to munch upon. The garbage had nothing to offer and no man looked down upon me in affection. Infact, I slept like a mad dog the whole night, I cried out for my mother.

I can see the fireflies, marching above the ground in one long column, lighting up my dark and deserted street. Suddenly, my body stopped aching and my stomach craved no more. I got up and hopped about to reach for the fireflies. I followed them as if my treasure had been discovered and I was made their king. They went on flying crossing through shrubs, bushes and berries. And like an enchanted being I strolled along with them keeping their pace and even walking above streams and rivulets, singing the song of fireflies that my late grandma had taught me. I left behind my dwelling place far away, with Sulphur and Neon in deep slumber. I was entwined in the music of love and happiness, wealth and health, family and friends. My eyes sparkled and there I saw my mother, full in health, with long and soft furs covering her stout and healthy physique, lying in soft bed of grasses along with my grandma waiting by the golden gate. I ran towards them in joyous rupture and the golden gate closed behind me as soon as I entered that unknown kingdom. My mother took me with her and showed me a mirror. In it I could see my reflection gloried to the beauty of an enchanter; my golden furs curled beautifully down my ears, my hazel-brown eyes were round and plump which sparkled life. I was far more handsome than Sulphur or any other domestic dog. My grandma licked my face and took me onto bed of soft clouds. I lay there in warmth and then my grandma tucked me in whispering, “My love, you are home.”

My eyelids closed and my heart lifted up to that comfortable height of contentment which made me believe that the end of my sufferings has arrived and God has offered me a place beneath his pious feet…

A sudden racket woke me up and found myself in a stingy package of smelly chicken bones. My eyes searched for Sulphur and Neon. I could perceive Neon at a distance, across the street, opposite from where I was gazing at his lonely trail. His tail was down and his ears were somber to look at.  Though I could not make out the gleam in his eyes, but they seemed to me quite overruled by fear and agony. I turned around and found a few people adorning the street. They were from the municipality and were wiping a certain spot in the middle of the street which rather paved way for developing an idea in me that it might have been a sacred day for all those who believed in the supremacy of the nine planets which was why they were cleaning the street starting from that spot.

A few yards away from that spot, my sights were shocked at perceiving an appalling figure of Sulphur lying stiff and motionless in a most haggard appearance. Blood covered his head and some parts of his brain were squeezed to red gel.

My soul was mortified, the sight of Sulphur in such a reckless condition at death terrified my heart and felt pity for his flattened mortal, yet there was a joy in my heart, an opportunity floating up to me…   

With Sulphur’s dead Neon has lost his godfather and without sulphur he was just a scion. My heart could not help but grinned for the long run, as I would be benefited with the chance of having the chicken bones all for myself…

                         

No comments:

Post a Comment